The new year is fast approaching, and we all know what that means: It’s time to decide on a New Year’s Resolution. Deciding on a New Year’s Resolution is a great way to focus your self-improvement efforts so that you can work to become your best version of yourself. Unfortunately, despite having the best of intentions, many people abandon their New Year’s Resolution long before the end of the year. Sticking with a new habit takes work and dedication, and it’s far too easy to fall off the bandwagon.
So how do you stay motivated to follow through on your resolution throughout the new year? One great option is a wearable mantra. To create a wearable mantra, the first step is to decide on a word or phrase that, when you see it, will remind you to stay motivated and work towards your goals. Next, place it on something you’ll wear daily, such as a personalized leather bracelet. Every time you look down at your wrist, you’ll be reminded of your dedication towards your goal. Studies show that repetition is key to creating lasting habits, so the more often you see your wearable mantra, the more likely you are to stick it out with your habit.
Having a hard time deciding on your wearable mantra for 2019? Here are ten common New Year’s resolutions, and suggested mantras for each of them.
1) Eat Healthier
Eating healthier is one of the hardest New Year’s resolutions to keep up with because it involves not only picking up a new habit, but also letting go of an old habit. Not only that, but sugar, which is one of the most popular ingredients in unhealthy food, has been proven to be more addictive than cocaine. If you’re trying to tackle your eating habits this year, here are some quick and easy ideas for wearable mantras:
- Food = Fuel
- A healthy outside starts on the inside
- Vegetables most
- Water is life
- If you don’t buy it, you won’t eat it
2.) Exercise More
Despite the fact that exercise releases the feel-good hormones called endorphins, many of us still don’t exercise nearly enough. Our modern lifestyles keep us indoors and sedentary, and it takes effort to haul ourselves off of the couch and into the gym. If you’re worried you won’t be motivated enough to exercise more this year, here are some mantras to help:
- 99% of success is just showing up.
- Your body can stand almost anything. It’s your mind you have to convince.
- Fitness is like a relationship. You can’t cheat and expect it to work.
- Respect your body. It’s the only one you get.
3.) Save More Money
Our consumerist culture encourages us to go out and spend money that we don’t have on things that we don’t need so that we can dispose of things our landfills don’t have room for. It’s a troubling cycle, and it’s up to us to nip it in the bud. If you’re working on spending less and saving more in 2019, here are some great mantras for you:
- Never spend your money before you have earned it
- If you’re saving, you’re succeeding
- Prepare today for the wants of tomorrow
- Enough is better than too much
4.) Read More
Reading is one of the greatest liberties we have. A good book can expand your mind and your view of the world around you. In today’s high-tech world, it’s easy for books to fall by the wayside in lieu of television shows, video games, and other hobbies. Whether you want to read more of the classics or are getting into self-improvement books, reading more is a great resolution. If you want to remember the both the importance and joy of reading, here are some helpful mantras:
- A reader lives 1,000 lives before he dies.
- Children are made readers on the laps of their parents.
- Never put off til tomorrow the book you can read today.
- Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
5.) Spend More Time with Family and Friends
It’s a sort of funny thing: Our loved ones are the reason we get up in the morning, but unfortunately, it’s also easy for time to get away from us and for us to not spend as much time with them throughout the course of our days as we might wish. Life has no guarantees, and the last thing any of us wants is to have regrets about the experiences we didn’t share with our loved ones or the words we didn’t say to them. If you’ve found yourself focusing less than you’d like on the people you love, these wearable mantras might help you refocus your attention:
- Tomorrow is not promised and today is short.
- If you want to change the world, go home and love your family.
- Never let your friends feel lonely.
- Sometimes, being with a good friend is all the therapy you need.
6.) Learn Something New
As humans, it’s both our desire and our need to continue expanding our minds and abilities. Stagnating is easy, but learning is life. Whether a foreign language, a hobby, or a skill, learning something new can help you feel like a more fulfilled person. If that’s your goal for 2019, here are some mantras to help you stay motivated:
- When you stop learning, you start dying.
- The hallmark of successful people is that they are always stretching themselves to learn new things.
- A hobby a day keeps the doldrums away.
7.) Be Happier
Happiness is the goal of most of our lives. While many of these other goals can help lead to happier lifestyles, the truth is that happiness starts from the inside out. You can’t control the world, but you can control your attitude towards the world and what happens in it. Optimism is a choice—an attitude—and it can take practice to perfect it. If your goal for 2019 is to work on maintaining a happy outlook, here are some mantras to assist:
- Be happy for this moment
- Sometimes, happiness is a feeling. Sometimes, it’s a decision.
- I am in charge of how I feel and today I am choosing happiness.
- If it’s not going to matter in 5 years, don’t spend more than 5 minutes being upset about it.
8.) Get Organized
Between a capitalist society that encourages us to cram more and more stuff into our homes and the general human tendency towards procrastination, organization has become a downfall for many of us. Unfortunately, disorganization can lead to increased stress and anxiety, and if you want to lower those aspects of your life, increasing your organization may be a key to success. If that’s where your focus is for 2019, here are some helpful mantras:
- Cleaning & organizing is a practice, not a project.
- Picture your dream home. I bet it’s not filled with clutter.
- For every minute spent organizing, an hour is earned.
- Strive for progress, not perfection.
9.) Travel More
One of the marvels of modern transportation is the ability to quickly travel from one part of the country to another, and even from one part of the world to another. Traveling can help you expand your understanding of other cultures and peoples, leading to a more cultured and more understanding version of you. If you’re looking to make travel a bigger part of your life this year, here are some mantras for you:
- Travel is never a matter of money, but of courage.
- Take only memories. Leave only footprints.
- If we were meant to stay in one place, we’d have roots instead of feet.
- Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
10.) Help Others
There are few more worthy pursuits than helping the people around us. Whether that means dedicating time or money to charities or helping the people a little closer to home, helping others makes the world a better place to live in. If you want to spend 2019 looking outward a little more often, here are some mantras to help you remember the importance of the work you’re doing:
- Giving is not about making a donation; it’s about making a difference.
- Do small things with great love.
- Giving is the greatest act of grace.
- If you have the power to make someone happy, do it.
There’s a reason we all make resolutions at the start of a new year. As humans, we desire growth and improvement—we want to change. While change is hard, it is possible. It takes work and dedication to put change into practice. Taking on one of these personal mantras and repeating it regularly can help you remember the promise you’re making to yourself at the start of this year.